Who we are & what we do
Polebrook Parish Council has 7 Councillors, supported by a Clerk. The Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Council are elected annually from amongst the Councillors at the Annual Meeting held in May.
To contact a Parish Councillor, please contact the Clerk in the first instance
What the Parish Council does
Parish Councils are statutory bodies, originally created by the Local Government Act 1894 and having powers under a number of different Acts and Regulations (e.g. the Highways Act 1980, the Localism Act 2011, etc.). The Parish Council can raise funds through local taxation, known as the Precept, which is added to the Council Tax bill and collected by the Unitary Authority on behalf of the Parish Council. The Parish Council can also apply for grants.
Meetings of the Parish Council are normally held on the first Tuesday of every other month at the Village Hall in the Hemington Road, Polebrook. PE8 5LR
The Parish Council's responsibilities currently include -
- Allotments (21 plots)
- Community Safety (e.g. Village Emergency Plan)
- Grass cutting (within the allotments and cemetery)
- Grounds maintenance
- Planning (as a statutory consultee)
- Provision of a gritting bin (formerly a County Council function, outside the school)
- Provision of the parish noticeboards
- Street Furniture (public benches, some of the litter and dog bins)
- Street Lighting (20 lamps around the parish);
- Traffic Calming (1 Speed Indicator Device)
Standing Orders (PDF, 381 Kb)
Code of Conduct
Councillors Code of Conduct (PDF, 215 Kb)
We have one part-time Clerk, who is contracted to work 6 hours per week.
Office opening times Tuesday 12.00 noon -2.00pm Thursday 11.00am - 1.00pm
If you have a problem to report, this can be done by phone, e-mail or using the on-line form. Or by contacting Fix My Street.
History of the Parish
Polebrook was first mentioned in 972 but spelt as Pochebroc. By the 12th century this had become Pokebroc, then Pokebroke and between the 13th and 18th century Polebrook, Pogbroke, Pobrok, Polebrooke and Polenbrooke have all been mentioned. In the Oxford Dictionary of Place Names it is given as meaning "Frogbrook". At the time of the Doomsday survey Pochebroc was held of the abbey of Burgh. By the reign of Henry II these estates were in the hands of several people. In 1315 the abbots of Peterborough and Thorney, Robert Porthors, John da Glendon and Reginald le Moigne were Lords of Polebrook. During the reigns of Henry VI and VII they were in the possession of the family Lovell and in the following reign came into the hands of Sir Edward Montague, from whom they descended to the duke of Bucleugh; subsequently Lord Rothschild and George Eden Hunt were principal landowners.
At the time of the Doomsday survey the shires became counties named after the chief towns round which they were situated. Each county was divided into 'hundreds' and each hundred into manors. The inhabitants of the hundreds were, until the Riots (Damages) Act 1886 liable for damage done by rioters. In some cases courts were attached to the hundreds. Northamptonshire was divided into 20 hundreds.
Polebrook Hundred stretched from the Willbrook on the north, Huntingdonshire on the east, the hundreds of Huxlow and Navisford on the south and on the wet from the hundreds of Corby. It was shaped not unlike the figure 8 and covered 19,840 acres. Polebrook village covered 2,730 acres.
In 1841 there were 96 houses with a population of 453. Occupations listed show a baker, schoolmaster and schoolmistress, rector, curate, four shoemakers, shopkeeper, taylor, parish clerk, butcher, two blacksmiths, carrier, stonemason, gamekeeper, two wheelwrights and another butcher and beer retailer. There were two "victuallers" – The Dukes Head and the Kings Arms. Letters were received through Oundle Post Office. The school was supported by voluntary contributions and a clothing club was supported principally by the Rector and his family.
A Northamptonshire historian, in the early part of the 18th century described the village as standing low on a rocky ground with 2 bridges, one "Pottock" bridge outside, the other a small horse bridge of two arches within its area. The "main road" was the road to the Giddings – the road to Lutton being considered branch road. Buildings worth mentioning were Polebrook Hall, opposite was "The Gables" dated 1698 but with a 16th century doorway (once the Post Office), the Rectory, the school and the Manor House.
Opposite the Church was a house noteworthy for the two 16th century chimney pieces, also once the post office from which the first Old Age Pensions od ten shillings a week were issued. Almost opposite the school was the Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1863 and now a house. Also worthy of note is the Old Dukes Head which was formerly a public house.
Polebrook Hall is a Jacobean house but much restored and remodelled. The gardens were laid out by Sir Reginald Blomfield. In 1885 the hall was purchased by Brigadier General Algernon Francis Holford Ferguson, whose elder son Victor John dies in World War 1. His second son Andrew, born 1899 had two sons, the younger, Ronald Ivor, being the Father of the Duchess of York.